HR Truck Licence

A HR (Heavy Rigid) Licence covers any truck or bus with 3 or more axles with a GVM greater than 8 tonnes.

The HR Truck licence can offer good job opportunities for tip trucks, construction, heavy transport and quarry work.

You must have held a car licence for at least 2 years.

The two options for HR upgrades are HR-B condition (Auto & Syncromesh gearbox) or HR unconditional (crashbox).

We offer heavy rigid licence training in either one of our three HR vehicles: a Mack Trident 6x4 Sleeper with automatic gearbox and 500hp MP8 motor, Freightliner Argosy 101 with automatic gearbox and 550hp CAT C15 single turbo motor or "Stella" a Western Star with 18 speed Eaton Fuller Road Ranger gearbox and 550hp CAT C15 twin turbo motor prime mover. 

If you have a medical condition the code ‘M’ will be recorded on your licence. This means that when you drive you must carry a current medical certificate (this is detachable from your Medical Certificate for Motor Vehicle Driver form F3712) and drive in accordance with any stated conditions.

When upgrading to a higher class of licence, if you have a condition: M on your current licence you will need to visit your doctor to have the certificate updated to include the new class before you begin your training.

If you drive vehicles with a GVM of more than 8 tonnes, public passenger vehicles (for example buses, taxis or booked hire) or drive a vehicle that is licensed or required to be licensed to carry dangerous goods, you must meet the commercial vehicle driver medical standards in the Assessing Fitness to Drive publication. For more information, visit the Austroads website

What can I drive? Number of Axles Description
3+ A bus or truck with more than 8 tonne GVM and at least 3 axles.
Back to Top